Monday, May 7, 2018

April 21, 2018: The Sabbath Lesson

Good Morning my beloved family, friends, and possibly random acquaintances,

This was a great week and for this week I will focus on the fact that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath. Let me explain...

So it all started Saturday night. We taught an Investigator named Lita the first lesson. She loved it and wanted to go to church. However, she wasn´t able to because she had to clean out some trash and stuff on Sunday because later on Sunday or Monday people would come to work on something in her lot. My companion, Elder Gomes, offered to help her clean up her house on Sunday at 3:30 so that she could go to church with us that morning. She agreed happily and thanked us. When he said that I immediately had alarms going off in my head. For I firmly thought that Sunday was not a day for such activities and therefore we shouldn´t ever do something like that. I was thinking of all the other problems that it could cause and wasn´t thinking about helping her like the Savior would. But, I kept my mouth shut and didn´t say anything. 

On Sunday, we all went to church. It was a Stake conference and Lita loved it. Our Mission President spoke and she said that it touched her. Later, after eating lunch, we went to Lita´s house with our Ward Mission Leader to help her out. We got there and she had all the trash and leaves prepared for us to load in wheelbarrows and take to the dump. Also, there was an 18 year old man there named Diego. He was helping her in exchange for some clothes. For, he was poor and didn´t have the conditions to buy many clothes. His own clothes that he wore were full of holes and tied to ensure that they would stay on his body. 

We began the service project. Us, in our church clothes, Diego in his holy clothes. (that was a pun) So we loaded everything up and began talking to him. We quickly found out that he really likes video games... Which, was perfect. So we all started talking with him and already became friends. The service project was quick. It took about an hour and was very easy. We just made a lot of wheelbarrow trips. At the end of the service project, we all sat down and we shared a message with them. We reviewed the 1st lesson with Lita and taught it to Diego. They loved it! The spirit was so strong. During the lesson, Diego smiled and commented that he felt so much peace. It was amazing. At the end, Diego said the prayer for the first time in his life and really opened up his heart. It was a very sincere prayer and at the end he was crying. They both accepted to be baptized. 

The whole time during this experience, the thought kept passing though my mind, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath". Definitely learned my lesson and will always remember that. For, I know that the Lord wouldn´t have hesitated to serve his neighbor, even on a Sunday. I hope to be able to remember this for the rest of my life, and do the best I can do to Minister to others in the way the Savior would!

Other news, haha this week Elder Gomes was travelling to go to the Zone conferences. So, I stayed in the area following everyone up. I was doing a lot of splits with the staff elders. That way I was still able to follow up and teach our investigators. So that was pretty fun. It was quite the adventure. 

YESTERDAY, it was raining and it rained non-stop the whole day! It was crazy!!

Also a new senior missionary couple arrived called Casal Thompson. They are from Idaho. AND yes, he is a potato farmer. I thought he was joking when he said that. BUT no, he definitely is a potato farmer. They are really cool. AND his farm is huge. hahaha He showed us pictures of it. PRETTY IMPRESSIVE. haha But, even so I 
don´t have the desire to be a potato farmer.  I thought about it for a half-second though.... Just kidding. 

Anyways, it was a great week. Loved it. Next week I will be travelling to Conquista for the zone conference. So that will be exciting! 

Love you all!!

Elder Davis